14 May Gluten Free Jowar Jaggery Cookies /Millet Cookies(Eggless)
Crunchy and crisp Gluten Free Jowar Jaggery cookies are your best solution to relishing a healthy cookie without guilt. Mildly flavored with cocoa powder and egg free as well; it qualifies as a great chocolate millet cookie that can compete with your regular store bought no-so- healthy chocolate cookies for sure. Sweetened with jaggery powder as a replacement for refined sugar, these are pure guilt free indulgence.
Packed with nutrient dense properties, Jowar or Sorghum Millet is an ancient grain that is an excellent source of dietery fibre and Protein apart from being Gluten Free. With a low Glycemic Index, that helps prevent spikes in blood sugar levels, Jowar flour is a healthier alternative to the regular flours and apt for people who follow a restricted diet,either a diabetic diet or someone who is struggling to loose weight.
And with organic jaggery powder , the ancient sweetener that finds its name in the text books of Ayurveda, this cookie is one of the most healthiest of homemade cookies. With its nutrient rich properties of minerals,vitamins,and iron, Jaggery makes these cookies very friendly for the digestive system.
Both Jowar flour and Jaggery powder along with the other basic ingredients that goes into the making of a cookie; creates a rustic, chewy ,crunchy cookie that can be your favorite tea accompaniment or even otherwise as an anytime snack that you could carry with you. Or you could pack them up in hampers and gift them to your loved ones. Can be a great holiday and festive gift as well. Store them in airtight containers and relish them when you wish.
In a way these cookies are all about going back to our roots and ancient culinary traditions and respecting our ancient super grains . Merging these ancient ingredients with modern techniques of baking only instills our faith in our culinary roots and their versatility in adapting to modern contemporary food habits.
You could add regular sugar or brown sugar as well, absolutely fine with the texture,but I prefer jaggery with all its vitamins intact that lend these cookies some amount of nutrient content from the jaggery too. Sugar can be reduced too if you desire for lesser sugar content. Likewise; Oil or Butter is fine , whatever you desire ,these cookies are high on flexibility and can adapt to any change of ingredients.
Quick ,easy and simple,these just require an assembling of ingredients to create these crisp cookies. Adults or kids, they are a great hit every time I bake them.For kids,its a great way to sneak the nutrient rich Jowar(Sorghum Millet) into their system too . In my house, the store bought cookies have gradually been replaced by the goodness of these healthier cookies .
- Cup Measurement Size: 250 ml
- Jowar flour (sorghum Millet flour)1 cup
- cocoa powder 2tbsp
- Soft Butter (or Oil) ½ cup
- Jaggery Powder ½cup ( Can add less if you wish for lesser sweetness)
- Baking Powder ¼ tsp
- Baking Soda a pinch
- Milk 3 to 4 tbsp (only if required)
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees
- Line a baking tin with parchment paper
- In a bowl cream the jaggery powder and Butter with a hand blender
- Add the Jowar flour, cocoa powder,baking powder, baking soda and form a dough
- Add milk if the dough looks crumbly.It will come together as a dough.
- Cling wrap and and refrigerate the dough for half an hour
- Roll into small balls and flatten them slightly
- Place them on the baking tray lined with parchment paper leaving some gap in between each cookie dough
- Bake them for around 20 minutes
- Remove and let them cool.The cookies will harden
- Store in airtight containers