25 Dec Gingerbread Cookies Eggless
Merry Christmas everyone!
What’s Christmas without its signature goodies?
These gingerbread cookies are the embodiment of the season of Christmas, just like the Christmas Cake and other goodies.Christmas is the season of love,of hope of faith and of immense joy of giving and sharing.Its more about the feeling then a festival in itself. We all know about the various types of Christmas goodies and their reverence to this festival of joy.These cookies are one of those goodies that make an appearance very Christmas ,as part of the Christmas spread
With flavor enhancing warm spices that clearly honor the beauty of autumn, these classic GingerBread man are cynosure to all things festive and holidays. Warm and chewy, with a firm base ,they look cute and yummy with the decorative frosting on top,perfect for your kids to indulge in some Christmas baking activity.
Easy and simple ,they need just a few ingredients. Cinnamon,Ginger,cloves and nutmeg makes up for such brilliance of flavors,felling the house with its waft as they bake.
You can pack them as gift or as a part of your gift hamper or treat them to friend and families this holiday season
While gingerbread cookies need molasses to make them what they are in literal sense, I have tried making them without molasses though .Also,molasses in India is not widely available across stores,hence it makes sense to work out a method that gives it a distinct taste similar to the ones made with molasses.I have used a combination of brown sugar and honey as a replacement for molasses ,but you can also use a mix of jaggery powder and water to substitute the same.Somehow,I like the taste of brown sugar+Honey as a better combination close to the taste of mollasses
Also trying to live upto my healthy renditions , I have added whole wheat flour(Atta) as well.You can choose to make them with all purpose or wholewheat or a combination of both depending on your taste preferences, although traditionally they are made with all purpose flour(maida)
So if you have been worrying about molasses, then go ahead and try these cookies without molasses and spread the warmth and joy of Christmas .
And if you do happen to make them,then do not forget to tag me on instagram and FB under @indraniskitchenflavours
- Wholewheat Flour ½ cup
- All purpose flour1/2cup
- Powdered brown sugar ¼cup
- Honey ¼ cup
- Butter ¼cup
- Baking soda1/2 tsp
- Ginger Powder 1 tsp
- Clove powder ¼ tsp
- Cinnamon Powder ¼ tsp
- Nutmeg Powder ¼tsp
- Hot water 2tbp(if required for binding)
- For Frosting
- Icing sugar 3/ cup
- 1-2 tbsp milk or water depending on the consistency
- food colors (red and green)
- Line the baking tray with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 180 degrees for 10 minutes
- In a bowl mix the butter, honey and brown sugar and beat well
- Ina separate bowl sieve the flours, baking soda,cinnamon powder, clove powder, nutmeg powder, ginger powder
- Now add the dry mix to the wet mix slowly and form into a dough by hand
- You can add 2 to 3 tbsp water if required to form the dough
- Cover and keep in the refrigerator for 30 minutes for the dough to firm up.
- Roll out the dough over a parchement paper.
- Cut out the cookies with the gingerbread man cookie cutter
- Arrange them on the baking tray and bake them for about 10 to 15 minutes basis the temperature settings of your oven.
- Remove and let them cool
- Decorate them with frosting and enjoy
- Roll out the dough into a thin