15 Sep Ragi Jaggery Cookies/Ragi Finger Millet Cookies Eggless
Eggless Ragi jaggery cookies with no sugar are the most simple of homemade cookies that are healthy and nutrient rich cookies packed with loads of amno acids, calcium, and antioxidants.
With the world gravitating towards a healthy lifestyle with numerous food experts and chefs churning out recipes that manifest in a life that is filled with healrhy eating; suddenly new forms of cooking and variations of age old recipes are popping up
Like my Ragi cookies, technically a regular cookie but which uses jaggery as a replacement for sugar, while ragi flour is added for its nutrients. Eggfree makes this more versatile as well and opens up to a larger audience of course.I have also added a little chickpea flour(besan)for added benefits along with whole wheat flour as well.Together, they create a new found modern cookie that can be attested as one of the best homemade healthy cookies of all times
Ragi known as a power house of nutrients, adding in high amount of not only calcium but also iron to the system,along with organic jaggery powder makes this cookie a great alternative to the store bought cookies with preservatives and high soluble fats.
Simply put together like a dough all you need are the basic requirements.Good quality butter or oil, although I prefer the texture with butter, an oven or OTG , and you are done.
Lets look at a few benefits of Ragi that can make a healthy dietary change in your life if we embrace it in our meal plans
- Storehouse of Calcium- High in calcium , Ragi goes a long way in curing calcium deficiency and maintaining strong teeth and preventing osteoporosis as well
- Controls Diabetics– Loaded with high fibres, Ragi has a a low glycemic index, and helps to keep your blood sugar at check
- Helps in preventing Anemia – Since Ragi is a storehouse of iron,it is extremely essential for people who are suffering from low homeoglobin levels resulting in anemia
- Relaxes the body -The presence of antioxidants Tryptophan and Amino acids help in fighting anxiety and depression and insomnia
- Helps in Weight loss– Since it is rich in dietary fibre, consumption of Ragi keeps the stomach full and stops those sudden hunger pangs,thus helping in your weight loss journey.
- Improves Skin Vitality-Ragi is one of the natural resources that is loaded with Vitamin D,essential for calcium of bones . The amino acids present in Ragi help in preventing wrinkles and improves skin tissues
I haven’t added baking soda or baking powder here, if you wish, go ahead and use it to your convenience.1/4th tsp should be fine, although I feel without the leavening agents, the cookies get a solid crisp structure that qualifies it as a prize winning cookie recipe
Perfect as a compliment to your cup of tea, they are great for kiddies too, sneaking in so much of nutrients into their system which , the creamy store bought biscuits can’t match up to.
Even as a gifting option, be it an occasion,festivals or just as a way to impress perhaps, they can be sealed in great looking air tight containers and given as giveaways to your favorite people. Accolades are guaranteed for sure
I mostly use organic jaggery instead of suger , for its benefits.Technically one can replace jaggery for sugar uniformly across recipes, provided the flavor of jaggery is not a misfit in the specific recipe.Here, in these cookies, jaggery, wholewheat ,besan and ragi forms a perfect combination lending in a rich dark brown hue as well which almost looks like chocolate cookies.
Crispy and soft with an intense flavor , these are your anytime cookies that will be loved and relished by all.
If you love the recipe do give a try and don’t forget to tag me o Instagram and Fb @indraniskitchenflavours.
Do follow my blog, insta handle and Fb for more such recipes
- Wholewheat Flour ½ cup
- Ragi Finger Millet Flour ¼ cup
- Besan1/4 cup
- Butter(unsalted) ½ cup
- Jaggery Powder ½ cup
- Mix Jaggery powder and Butter well
- Add wholewheat flour, ragi flour, salt and shape it into a dough
- Keep in the frefrigerator for 30 minutes
- Make small round balls and flatten them slighty
- Bake in a preheated oven under 180 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes
- Let it cool for some time before removing
- Store in Air Tight Containers
- The cookies will harden once cooled so make sure you do not over bake