01 Nov Paneer Chilli Gravy
While universally Chinese Cuisine is high on its popularity charts, India has its own version of Chinese cuisine too , informally called as Indo Chinese Cuisine.Chinese cuisine by far is the second most favorite food for many an Indians. Eating out occasion is very often celebrated with delectable chinese recipes, ala carte or even buffets. However , many restaurants work out specific ingredients and serve what is called as Indo Chinese Cuisine today;with varied renditions to the original dishes ; thus suiting the Indian pallate. One for instance is Paneer Chilli which is a vegetarian’s delight. Paneer or Cottage Cheese as we know does not really feature in authentic Chinese cooking ,Tofu is what best applies to a vegetarian dish apart from exotic veggies. However, in India, very often Paneer substitues for tofu and manages to please your pallate with its soft texture. . Amongst the vegetarian gravies and starters, Paneer Chilli along with Veg Manhcurian tops the list for favorites.
Tasty and spicy, it has an exquisite taste as the soft paneer absorbs the taste of the gravy beautifully . It definitely is one of the common chinese dishes in India when it comes to vegetarian cooking. A rendition of chilli chicken recipe. same ingredients and sauces that work out to a great taste. It can be of two types, dry and gravy. The dry version is aptly called for as a starter while the gravy is generally relished as a side dish with different varieties of Fried rice or Dry hakka noodles.
Primarily made with paneer and green chillies, it is spijcy and tangy, the tartnesss coming from the rice vinegar while the feiry chillies add to the depth of the dish. Some variations use capsicum instead of green chillies, some call for only slit green chillies, while others still call for a combination of green chilies and capsicum.
I have included both green chillies and green capsicum in this recipe. You can try any variation you desire. I also add a little tomato ketchup for the right balance of sweet and sourness.
Most chinese dishes uses MSG which gives the dish its authentic taste.I haven’t added that making it healtier. Hence with regular ingredients at home, this works out great as a dish.Although simple to make, you will need the right ingredients for Chinese cooking. You can read about the essential ingredients required in Chinese Cooking in my next post
Seasme oil ,spring onions, light soy sauce , rice vinegar, spring onions are essential if you need the desired taste of Paneer Chilli or any other Chinese Dish.
- Paneer(Cottage Cheese)- 200 gms cut into cubes
- Batter for frying the paneer
- Cornflour- 2 to 3 tbsp
- maida -3 tbsp
- Soy sauce-1/2 tsp
- red chilli powder- ¼th tsp
- black pepper powder- ¼th tsp
- water-1/4th cup or as required for a thick batter
- For the Gravy
- Seasme oil- 1 tbsp
- Green chillis slit-3 to 4
- spring onions chopped-1/3rd cup +1 tbsp for garnish
- chopped garlic-1/2 tsp
- chopped ginger-1/2tsp
- cubed onions-1
- capsicum(optional)- 1 cut into cubes
- soy sauce-1 tbsp
- rice vinegar- 1 tsp
- red chilli sauce- 2 tsp
- tomato ketchup-1 tsp
- sugar- ½ tsp to 1 tsp
- salt- as per taste
- kashmiri red chilli powder-1 tsp
- Black pepper Powder-1tsp
- cornflour for frying the paneer- 2 tbsp dissolved in 6 tbsp water
- In a bowl take cornflour, maida,salt,black pepper, soy sauce and water to form a thick batter
- Dip the paneer cubes in this batter and fry on both sides.
- Keep aside
- For the Gravy
- In a pan, add oil. When smoking hot, drop the garlic. Fry and add the slit green chillies, cubed capsicum. Let thce capsicum cook slightly and add the cubed onions.Stir fry.
- Add salt, red chilli powder , black pepper powder and stir fry on high flame. Add chopped ginger and little spring onions
- Add the sauces ie soy sauce, red chilli sauce , tomato ketchup jand vinegar
- Add sugar.
- Add little water so that it forms a gravy , cover and cook for a min.
- Add the cornflour slurry that is made with cornflour mixed with little water.
- Add seasme oil, remaining spring onions , and stir for a while until the gravy reaches a consistency.add paneer cubes .
- Let the paneer cubes soak in the gravy for a few minutes.
- Switch off the flame ,garnish with spring onions and serve