19 Jun Chicken with poppyseeds, cashews and magaz
Curd- 1/4th cup (hung curd only)
Poppy seeds- 2 tbsp
Magaz(watermelon seeds)- 2 tbsp
Cashew- 1 tbsp
Garam masala powder- 1/2 tsp
Kasuri methi(optional)- a pinch
safron- little dipped in a little milk
ginger paste- 1/2 tsp
Tandoori chicken masala- 1 to 2 tsp
Onions- 1 chopped
Cinamon stick- 2
Bay leaves- 2
Cloves- 5 to 6
Star anise- 2
turmeric- 1/4 tsp
Plz note: The saffron here is used only for a hint of flavor not so much for the color, hence turmeric is used. You can skip the saffron totally. saffron chicken is actually a similar dish which is overly dominated by the saffron color and flavor
- Soak the magaz and the poppy seeds in boiling water for sometime. Similarly the cashew-nuts need to be soaked separately as well
- Make two pastes, one which is the cashew-nut paste and the other is the blend of poppy and magaz paste
- The pastes are made separately coz cashew is added much later in the dish, otherwise it gets stuck to the bottom of the paste.And cashew does not require much frying technically.
- Marinate the chicken in curd, tandoori masala, cumin and coriander powder,ginger paste, salt and keep aside for 2 hours.
- In a pan, add oil and when smoking hot, drop the whole spices
- Now add the onions and fry well
- Add the marinated chicken and fry for a while until browned. Add salt
- Now add the magaz and poppy seeds paste and keep frying under medium flame. If it gets dry you can add a combo of milk and water and keep frying.
- Cover and let it cook.
- Now add the cashew paste , and fry the chicken well. Cover it again under low flame and let it cook
- Check to see if it get stuck at the bottom. Now add the saffron, mix andl et it cook again covered. At this stage you can also add kasuri methi
Gorgeous in visual appeal it is impeccable in terms of taste and texture. The blend of cashews and poppy seeds lend a beautiful sweet taste, while the undertone of saffron elevates the dish to royalty, bursting with flavors..The tandoori masala is just added just for a bit of drama and you wont feel its presence in the taste. for that professional and restaurant look, this is your best bet..Rich gravy , with the sweetness of the cashew paste, it is perfect to go with you Indian breads, especially the Butter Naan.