03 Sep Fish Eggs(unprocessed caviar) fritters/Fish Roe fritters
Fish eggs!!!A delicacy amongst the eastern belt of the country.Especially the Rohu fish eggs..Simple and fried like fritters with just a few ingredients ;they are a craze in the gastronomy of the Assamese and Bengali cuisines.
Now, if for any reason,the mention of these delectable fish eggs connotes to the exotic caviar by your dictionary, let me tell you that these are not those processed caviars which are used as a glorious spread in exotic dishes that which is a delight in the dictionary of gourmet cooking.Utterly expensive that evokes luxurious dining and wealthy living.The eggs that I am talking here are essentially the unprocessed eggs (Roe) that are found in the river water fishes like Rohu.In fact Rohu fish eggs are the best in terms of taste.These eggs are a delicacy only in the Eastern side of the country mainly Assam and West Bengal. I remember during my childhood, mom would actually try and buy the Rohu fishes that seemed to have eggs for us, which actually would not be frequently available. Eggs found in the fish meant yummy fritters at the dining table. Totally irresistible.Crispy, chewy, yummy made with onions and an undertone of chilly and spice .
Deep fried is how it lends them their perfect taste;crispy and yummy.But yes; for the rest of the people this might be an acquired taste . A little uninitiated ,a little raw and unearth and could be a little disturbing for a few yet this has been a treat from the Assamese cuisine like every cuisine has their own treat..Perhaps not so popular , and not introduced commercially,with its distinctive taste and texture, it continues unanimously as a cultural delicacy.
- Fish eggs-As per the eggs of 1 fish( I took 1 cup)
- Salt-as per taste
- Onions- 1 chopped
- Coriander leaves-few chopped
- Green chillies-1 to 2 chopped
- Riceflour/besan-1 tbsp
- Ginger chopped (optional)-1 tbsp
- Oil for frying
- Turmeric Powder(optional)-1/4th tsp, I didnt use
- Mix all the Ingredients together
- Ensure that you dont break the eggs and make the batter very smooth
- Take a deep pan and add oil
- When smoking hot ,drop spoonfuls of the batter into the pan
- Fry them under medium flame on both sides until done.Ensure that you press them slightly on both sides so that there is even frying from inside. Deep frying is the best technique which arrives at the desired taste.