29 Apr Fish with mustard -curd sauce
While this ideally was my mom”s age old recipe, I was surprised to see the same dish prepared in a fancy manner and technique in one of the shows on a food channel (Don’t remember if it was Fox traveller or NDTV Good times).
Whatever it maybe , i must say that presentation is the key to a good dish.Not that my mom’s dish is not visually appealing; it is in every sense, however she would prepare it like a fish curry that would best compliment the rice at the dining table. That goes for an Indian meal..Fish curry and rice to be precise.And padba fish with this gravy was a scintillating affair
But what I saw on this channel was exactly the same ingredients albeit the way the ingredients were tempered with to work around a thick sauce that which adds drama and magic to the dish bringing in a resplendent glaze
In short a dramatic presentation of the sauce over the fish and the side veggies is what creates magic to this dish .A simple sauce, yet with the way the texture is formed and the fish when relished with this delectable sauce is outstanding ..never felt so good.
Fish fillets(Bhetki/Rohu/Catla/Kingfish/Basa )- 2
Mustard paste- 3 tbsp diluted in 2 tbsp water
Water- 1/3rd cup
Curd- 2 tbsp
Garlic paste- 1 tsp for marination and 1 tsp for the sauce
chillies- 1 chopped
oil- 1 tbsp
Salt- As per taste
- Marinate the fish with garlic paste, salt and black pepper. keep aside for 10 mins.
- Now fry them in oil and keep aside
- Make a paste of green chilies and garlic and keep aside
- Make a paste of the mustard and add water to it and keep aside
- In a pan, add oil and when hot, drop the garlic chili paste.Fry for a few sec and add the mustard-water concoction. The water helps mellow down the piquancy of the mustard.Add salt , let it boil
- Now add the fish fillets and cover the sauce for a few mins..
- Take out the fish and keep aside on the serving plate
- Now ,add curd to the sauce.Blend, stir and let it cook and thicken for a few mins. Cover and let it simmer.
- Once you know the sauce has hit the right consistency , remove and pour over the fish fillets