20 Nov Palak Chicken( Chicken in a rich spinach gravy)
A very common Indian dish, so to say..Yet, many people cant get it right, I couldnt get it right myself for a long time, an uncanny bitter flavor of the spinach looming large ,spoiling the taste of the dish.
Yet, once i got it right, it is a scrumptious, yummy recipe, healthy and nutritious with all the right amount of vitamins of the proteins merged with the chicken.
And while i was eagerly waiting for my Aunt and uncle”s visit to Mumbai, i had to finish my largely stocked bunch of spinach before they arrive since they are barred from consuming spinach and a few other veggies for health reasons..Hence ,after enough of pondering, it was palak chicken that i cooked up ..
Chicken- 400 to 500 gms
coriander powder-1 tsp
cumin powder- 1tsp
curd- 1/3rd cup
cinamon-1 large stick
ginger garlic paste- 1 tsp
spinach- one bunch
coriander leaves-1/4 bunch
salt- as per taste
tomato- 1 small
kasuri methi powder- 1 tsp
red chilli- 1 (optional)
Oil- 1 tbsp
nutmeg powder- 1/2 tsp
cream- 1 tbsp
- Blanch the spinach with coriander leaves and the carrot .Puree them together once done. Dont discard the water used for boiling as it would be used later.The coriander and carrot helps to do away or mellow down the raw smell of the spinach and achieves a sweet taste.
- In a deep pan,add oil and add the onions and cloves.Fry them , take it off the pan and mix them with curd and blend together to make a thick paste.
- Now add oil in the same pan and drop the red chilli, bay leaves, cardamon, cinnamon and the ginger garlic paste.
- Add the onion- curd mixture and keep frying for a minute.
- Add the chicken,tomatoes and the spice powders and fry for sometime.Add a little water that which was used to blanch the spinach to prevent the chicken sticking to the bottom of the pan. This way you ensure that the nutrients that was lost while blanching the spinach is not wasted. You can add additional curd as well to remove the chicken getting burnt.
- Add garam masala powder,nutmeg powder and salt to adjust.
- Fry and now add the puree ..Keep stirring and keep the chicken covered on low heat till chicken is done.
- Add a dollop of fresh cream before turning off the stove..Dont cook for long ,otherwise the color of the green spinach will change to a lighter color.
Absolutely yummy with the right amount of nutrients and protein of the chicken and spinach this is an absolute healthy dish.The coriander and the carrot gives that sweetness to the spinach and mellows down the weird flavor of the spinach and just undercovers it totally.The additional kasuri methi just gives in an additional flavor.You can add a additional spicy kick by adding green chillies. A dish that satiates you in excess and will leave your guests wanting for more..Brimming with the goodness this is perfect for a complete meal with steamed rice or indian bread.An energy booster of s dish with the goodness of the right nutrients to keep your energy levels through out the midweek..The chicken is succulent ,juicy and tender simmered in a sauce of healthy spinach.
And while spinach has an uncanny taste of its own, you will marvel at the fragrant thick rich sauce that which blends with the chicken and spices so gloriously
For all you not so lovers of spinach or for the ones struggling to make perfect delectable dishes out of the temperamental spinach ,this is a sure easy way to sneak spinach into your diet.No uncanny behavior, no bitterness, no flavor, just a yummy creamy green spinach sauce with the tenderness of the chicken that which will not fail to impress you.