08 Nov Apple Jelebis-An Indian Fusion Dessert
A unique dessert, called as Apple Jelebis, is not really a jelebi in real sense but infused with exquisite flavor of apples and cinnamon and conjured up as a dessert.Slices of apples pan fried in a flour batter and dipped in sugar syrup ,much to the likes of an Indian dessert.Not authentically Indian, since it doesn’t have a traditional origin as a sweet or dessert, but worked out beautifully to arrive at a modern taste,yet maintaining the looks of an Indian festive dessert. By rules of fusion desserts, this is clearly a recipe out of fusion Indian food for sure. Cooking technique being Indian, yet blended with modern, flavors.Who would have thought of apples being batter fried like Indian sweets otherwise? For the ones who shudder to think of it’s intriguing taste, Apple Jelebis are a beautiful ,succulent dessert that combines not just two flavors but attempts to invent an exquisite taste out of creativity of flavors.
For the uninitiated,Jelebis are quintessential Indian sweets loved unanimously across the country. Made with gramflour, deep fried and dipped in sugar syrup, they are crispy and moist .Mostly associated with festivals, these are synonymous with celebratory moments especially traditional occasions, that seek for authentic sweets.
These Apple delights are termed Jelebis but can be be termed as anything as you wish. But I think apple Jelebi suits it the best.
The combo of apples and cinnamon is classic and capable of creating magic in a recipe. Team it up with some rosewater ,and it gets an Indian flavor,modern yet traditionally rooted. Theatrically done up with sugar syrup.
Absolutely delicious, the apples soak up the sugar syrup and soften as they are fried in the batter.They grow in taste and flavor with time and when cold and absorb the flavors.
A dish created out of gastronomic inventions ,this speaks of creative flavors. Brilliantly blended with flavors, texture and cooking technique.A must try if you love a modern twist to your Indian desserts.
You can also read :
- 2 apples
- For the sugar syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- little lemon juice
- ½ tsp rosewater
- For the yeast mixture
- ½ tsp yeast
- ½ tsp sugar
- ¼th cup lukewarm water
- For the batter
- 1 cup flour
- ¼th tsp cardamon powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- Water to make the batter
- Cut the apples into round slices around ½ inch thick
- In a deep pan make the sugar syrup with sugar, water, cinnamon powder, rosewater. Let the sugar dissolve.Keep stirring until slightly thick.Add little lemon juice. No need for a string consistency, the syrup just needs to be slightly thick
- In a bowl take yeast, sugar and water and let the yeast dissolve
- In another bowl, combine 1 cup flour, 1 tsp sugar, dissolved yeast mixture , 1 tbsp ghee, ¼th tsp cardamom powder in a bowl.Add water to make a thick batter like pancake. Keep aside for 30 mins
- Dip the apple slices in the batter and deep fry them on both sides
- Pour them in the prepared sugar syrup for a a minute. Remove.