18 May Chocolate Coconut Barfi
Here its the consistency that shapes up to a new dish..Barfi or laddu, its the same preparation , the more you cook works out to be barfi, the less u cook, u can cook them up as ladoos.Really awesome is the power of Indian cuisine..I love it.
So like I mentioned, my coconut barfis are actually my mom’s trusted recipe..Don’t though when and how she learnt, but its a twisted taste, chocolate mixed with the traditional barfis.And she has been making these for ages since I was a toddler..Having seen her cooking I thought I could maybe make them myself, for she clearly states that while its easy to put up everything ,but its only a prolific chef who can master the real texture and the consistency of the barfis.
freshly grated coconut- 1 cup (small)
Sugar- 1/2 cup
cocoa powder- 2 tsp
milk maid(condensed milk)- 4 tsp..Or you can also use evaporated milk
oil/ghee for greasing
Plz note: 1.The size of the cup matters. My cup was small so I used 4 tsp of milkmaid.If your cup is of bigger size, you may add 3- tbsp of milkmaid
2. My mom uses evaporated milk (half litre reduced to 1/4 th qty),but I love the easier version of the condensed milk .
- Grate the fresh coconut
- Mix sugar, coconut and cocoa powder and keep the mixture aside covered for some time.This is to ensure that the sugar melts and blends with the soft and juicy coconut.Its easier to cook this way.otherwise the sugar becomes very temperamental during the frying process
- In a deep pan, put the mixture on low flame and keep frying .Best is to use a deep pressure cooker ,because of its thick base,the mixture does not get burned .In a frying pan,its more prone to get burned. (This is my mom”s tip, so I used the pressure cooker for frying)
- After sometime add the milk maid spoon by spoon. Keep frying
- When the oil starts releasing from the sides and the mixture attains a sticky consistency you know you have your perfect mixture. Try taking some in between your thumb and forefinger and if its sticky,you know its done.
- Ensure that the mixture is not over fried.In that case it will be like granules and will be impossible to shape.
- Grease a plate and pour the mixture and flatten it and let it cool for sometime.
- Once cool ,cut it into small squares and serve