21 Apr Doi Maach(Fish in yoghurt sauce)
A very typical dish , I love this from the bottom of my heart.Extremely simple, yet the result is a beautiful dish blended in the goodness of the curd and the fish combined,with the fragrant flavor of the aromatic whole spices showing a subtle dominance over the dish.
I think its a typical style from the east, the sweet curd and the fish..Although different cultures across this country has the same fish recipe with curd, yet this dish excluded itself from the generic ones coz its attains a typical taste akin to the Bengali culture.The curd here is sweet unlike other recipes from other culinary cultures.A very distinctly discerning aroma and flavor, its important to have the curd not very sour.The Rajasthani Cuisine has curd as one pf their most important ingredients across recipes however, the way the curd is intermixed with the veggies/meat is what differentiates the cultural cuisines.And in the Bengali culture, whenever whee is curd imbued into a dish it is mostly sweet.
In fact I added in a bit of sugar to the curd before it goes into the dish..That’s the taste and flavor of the dish. So Doi Maach is very much a Bengali preparation and this type cannot be synced with any other cultural cuisine.
But my preparation is not a very typical Doi Maach recipe. Its something which i used to make since years, even during my hostel and pg days in college.Its just a quick fire way, rather a shot take on the Doi Maach.Not the authentic one maybe,nevertheless its the taste that matters after all.Its the creativity that matters, short cut or the authentic way, a creativity infused dish is always a winner if it resonates with your taste palate.
The curd is our hero here, lending a flavorful taste to the dish thus imparting a beautiful aroma.A beautiful taste, this is an absolute delight with plain steamed rice.Just rice, nothing else, no bread, Parathas, Rotis,plain rice is what brings out the flavor of this dish.Cant compliment with anything else..You could have side servings of a Dal with onions, pickles and roasted papad, and the plain rice to accompany.Divine I would say.A complete comforting meal for the family.
For em, back from a hard day’s work, the Doi Maach and plain rice is almost like a heaven .To a good nights sleep.
- Fish (Rohu/Catla)-4 to 5 peices
- Onions(sliced )- 1 large
- Curd- 1 cup
- Cumin powder- 1 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
- Red chili powder- ½ tsp
- Bay leaves-1
- Cinnamon-1 large stick
- black pepper- few
- ginger paste- ½ tsp
- garam masala powder-1/2 tsp
- Fry the fish slightly (do not deep fry since they will be marinated in the curd hereafter)pieces in salt, lime juice and turmeric.Keep aside
- In a pan add oil, and fry the sliced onions.Cool and make a paste and keep aside
- In a large bowl, add the curd and add sugar to check the sweetness, add the cumin, coriander, turmeric, red chili powder,grated ginger and the fried onions paste and mix well..Keep for 5 minutes..Now add the fried fish pieces and keep it for about 15 minutes.
- In a deep pan, add oil, and drop the bay leaves, black pepper, cardamon, cinnamon, cloves.Stir fry , put the flame on extreme low and add the entire bowl of mixture with the fish marinated. Check that the curd does not curdle.The heat has to be extremely low for this, otherwise the curd will dissipate .Add salt, and stir for a while and cover the pan and keep it on low heat..Let it boil for sometime.Remove the pan and your most beautiful, flavorful Doi maach is ready...Top it with extra fried onions if you wish.
- Tip: I added a bit of cream with the curd for a texture so that it does not break into granules..Gives a creamy taste as well.